Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Kite flyers

While getting to know different neighborhoods I met these guys walking along with a kite. I was able to tell them that I had never flown an Indian kite. Eager to show off, that kite was soon soaring out 200 feet. They wanted to see a foreigner fly one, so I took the reins a few times. Each time, I would maneuver until it dove way down out of view behind a tree. Each time the guys would grab the string, correct the flight and bring her back into view. I was impressed.

Cultural: Kites are a big pass time for kids. A nice one costs about 25 cents. They will pilot kites from roof tops, alleys, near power lines. Anywhere. I say “pilot” because they can be precise. Not flying like Mary Poppins would, but rather the Red Baron. A special string with glass filament is imported from China for kite fighting. A leader of this string is used for the segment connected to the kite. Each pilot fights to cross lines just right and cut down his or her rivals. I cannot wait to see this in person. I think I better get practicing before the kite festival in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment