Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Muhdoo Muhkee (Honey Bee)

 

I had an opportunity to learn about bee keeping in South Asia. This is just another little thing that could come in handy working here. We drove an hour into a national wildlife park to pick up a man
with the expertise to help rob this hive for the first time.
Having only a short season without blossoms for honey production, a cerana indica (species) hive is productive enough to be robbed three times a year. This native species is smaller, but more docile. I rarely wore a mesh hood for protection and did not get stung. I learned that when you spin the honey out of the combs with a centrifuge, you need to do so inside. As we refined the honey a swarm of bees hung by the screen window trying to get some honey back. Over 7.5 pounds collected in one day!

1 comment: