Thursday, 19 June 2014

Aam Wallah

Mango facts I have discovered here:
-There are 1,200 separate breeds of mango in India. Size and color varies enough that, from a distance, I have mistaken some breeds for pears, cucumbers, or cantaloupes.
-The word "Aam" (mango) is also the word used to say "common". There's a political party here called "Aam Admi" meaning "The Common Man", but sometimes called "The mango men".
-The European Union banned the import of mangos and a few other produce from India this year. Their loss is my gain, since a flooded market here has driven mango prices down a bit.
-A good price for mangos converts to about $0.40 per pound. We buy them 5 pounds at a time! Mango salsa, mango smoothies, mango for breakfast, mango juice, etc. You get the point. Mangos are a bright spot in the weeks of language learning.

Pictured above is a real champ of a mango. I had to laugh when I looked down and my first thought was, "I'm gonna need a bigger knife". Not a bad problem to have.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all this great stuff, Dan. It all sounds great - except the spiders!

    ReplyDelete