I came overseas with a banjo just to have something to learn besides language, but it's ended up being something to connect with nationals over.
As I entered the field, a seasoned worker impressed on me that, 'If you don't learn the songs of the people, you to should be strung up for malpractice.' I've done what I can to pick up local songs to gather people around and to put myself in a position to learn from them. I've seen how being willing to learn is a good way to be given the privilege to speak into lives.
Here is a cellphone-recorded song that is very dear to the Nepali people. It doesn't carry a clear meaning in translation, but there are little bits of a love story, old proverbs, and being free-spirited. It's recognized as just an old song which families sing as they walk along.
As I entered the field, a seasoned worker impressed on me that, 'If you don't learn the songs of the people, you to should be strung up for malpractice.' I've done what I can to pick up local songs to gather people around and to put myself in a position to learn from them. I've seen how being willing to learn is a good way to be given the privilege to speak into lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment