These are some photos of the first design of temporary housing we have been building with families. The buildings are stout enough to be protective in monsoon, but can easily be recycled into the roof of a new permanent house.
A huge advantage of this design is how is easily villages can catch on and make it their own.
Multiplication- On the first major build, our team demonstrated shelter #1 for all to see. For #2 and 3, our team split up and worked along with residents. Before #2 and 3 were done, I looked up the hill and people were starting numbers 4 and 5 without our help. The hardest part of the build ended up being to slow the families down and talk through where to put the shelter. We needed to walk them through the process of giving forethought and make the decision their own.
1 month update: As I have gone back to this village I've seen that roughly 95%
of the families have people sleeping in these shelters. This is well above the average rate I've seen with identical shelters done in other projects. I believe there is a significance here. Ownership forms when people take part in the decision process and share in the labor involved. Otherwise, these shelters might have just been "One more thing I'm told I need, but I wouldn't spend a personal dime on the idea."
A huge advantage of this design is how is easily villages can catch on and make it their own.
Multiplication- On the first major build, our team demonstrated shelter #1 for all to see. For #2 and 3, our team split up and worked along with residents. Before #2 and 3 were done, I looked up the hill and people were starting numbers 4 and 5 without our help. The hardest part of the build ended up being to slow the families down and talk through where to put the shelter. We needed to walk them through the process of giving forethought and make the decision their own.
| This is what the temporary shelters look like before the family personalizes it with ends, door, floor, etc. |
1 month update: As I have gone back to this village I've seen that roughly 95%
of the families have people sleeping in these shelters. This is well above the average rate I've seen with identical shelters done in other projects. I believe there is a significance here. Ownership forms when people take part in the decision process and share in the labor involved. Otherwise, these shelters might have just been "One more thing I'm told I need, but I wouldn't spend a personal dime on the idea."

No comments:
Post a Comment