My city is built on a peninsula between the confluence of two rivers. Every year millions of pilgrims come to wash at the holy spot where the rivers mix. Every twelve years comes a "Khumb Maila" with some added importance. The last Khumb Maila was 2 years ago and 70 Million people came!! So the Maila this year was relatively tiny.
I was still overwhelmed by how many people were there. To piece together the mythical history from multiple accounts is difficult as well as heart-breaking. I can't get into the whole story here, but it highlights why the common worshiper doesn't have a moral expectation of their gods, let alone other people mistreating them on earth. So they beg to a god who doesn't bless out of love, but out of being hasty and loosing a drop of nectar from heaven after stealing it from humans on earth.

I was still overwhelmed by how many people were there. To piece together the mythical history from multiple accounts is difficult as well as heart-breaking. I can't get into the whole story here, but it highlights why the common worshiper doesn't have a moral expectation of their gods, let alone other people mistreating them on earth. So they beg to a god who doesn't bless out of love, but out of being hasty and loosing a drop of nectar from heaven after stealing it from humans on earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment